Instagram is growing on a feature that filters out ‘sensitive’ content, which can impact the reach of some accounts.
Utilizing Sensitive Content Control under the Settings menu, users can select how much or how little sensitive content they see across Search, Reels, Accounts You Might Follow, Hashtag Pages, and In-Feed Suggestions.
Sensitive Content Control was initially introduced in July 2021, though it only used in the Explore feed
If you publish content that Instagram thinks is ‘sensitive,’ your posts may see decreased reach if enough people start to use Sensitive Content Control.
Here’s better about how the feature works and what kind of content is affected.
Content Control Filters Content That Could Affect Community Safety
Sensitive content is defined by Instagram as “posts that don’t necessarily harm our rules, but could potentially be annoying to some people.”
Specifically, this includes:
- Content that may display violence, including people battling.
- Content that may be sexually definitive or suggestive, like pictures of people in a see-through dress.
- Content that promotes the use of specific regulated products, including tobacco or vaping products, adult products and services, or pharmaceutical drugs.
- Content that may promote or display cosmetic procedures.
- Content that may be endeavoring to sell products or services based on health-related claims, for example, a supplement to assist loses weight.
Content Control Options
There are three options open for restraining sensitive content on Instagram.
The options are:
- Standard: This is the default state, which limits some content.
- More: Allows users to opt-in to more sensitive content.
- Less: Restricts sensitive content to a greater extent than the default state
The “more” option is not open for users under the age of 18.
Instagram Tools Aim To Authorize Users To Customize Experience
This update to Sensitive Content Control is the most delinquent addition to a sequence of tools the social media platform offers that allow users to shape their own Instagram experience.
To modify Sensitive Content Control, follow these steps:
- Click on “Settings” from your profile page.
- Tap “Account and then “Sensitive Content Control”
- Select which content level you wish to apply.
- Tap “Confirm.”